Saturday, May 3, 2008

Brookllyn Half Marathon!

Got to Coney Island about 15 minutes before the start which was perfect because it was a bit chilly and sitting around wasn't doing any good. This was the first race in which the corral system was used and I think it worked out well as there seemed to be less passing and being passed in the crowded beginning. Weather was overcast and about 52 degrees I estimate 5000 to 6000 lined up on the board walk for the race. After the gun sounded it took less than 1 minute to cross the start line and I was off along the decredped hole and nail filled boardwalk. Three miles of this having to be careful not to get injured on this thing. I had my garmin on which I debated heavily whether to bring or not. In the end I figured it would be a good thing to know my pace so I don't go out too fast. The first three miles I did at 9:10 pace. It was off the boardwalk and north on Ocean Parkway for 6 miles. Was flat the entire way but there was a slight headwind now and then no biggie. I felt pretty good and by mile 5 I see I am doing 8:40 pace..much faster than I needed to break my 2 hour goal. I kept looking at my watch and saying "I feel good, I'm running this pace, don't let your watch psyche you out". I kept running about 8:50s to 9s to mile 9 where we entered prospect park and where the hills began. Needlees to say it got tougher, later in the race and on the hills. I kept repeating to myself "trust your training, trust your training". It was also at this time I knew I'd break 2hours if I just relaxed. Mile 10 by far the toughest was essentially entirely uphill 9:20 pace. 11 and 12 back to bascially flat with some small hills. At this point my legs are really hurting but with so little left I just pressed on. In the end 1:58:30! Six months ago I ran 1 mile in 12 minutes and felt like I would collapse. Now for a little speed training (7 weeks) before I start Hal's Novice 2 for NYC Marathon.

1 comment: