Monday, June 16, 2008

Not Much Going On

Not a lot to add lately. Speed training in this weather has been tough. Tempo runs in particular. However, the body is acclimating and running hasn't been as bad as it was in the first week or so of June when NYC had a killer heatwave with temps approaching 100. Two more weeks of speed training before NYC Marathon Training begins. As this will be my first Marathon I am shooting to finish but giving where I've raced and trained, I do not think it unreasonable to have a time goal. I'd like to shoot for under 4 hours. My 1/2 time predicts a 4:07 finish. However, I do think I'm continuing to improve. So the NYC 1/2 Marathon will be a good indicator. I fear though that temps above 55 will slow me down as I do hate to run in anything approaching warm weather. Ideally I like to run in 50 degree weather, overcast, and no wind. I'm good to go it seems anything between 40 and 50. Maybe I can raise that 55 to 60 as I aclimate myself to hotter temps.

As far as a training program for the NYC 08, everything I'm reading and all the advice I get on the Vboards (Hal Hidgon's Site) points to me using his Novice 2 program. I was seriously considering his Intermediate 1 program but having only been running for 8 months I'd rather arrive at the line healthy as opposed to beat up. I know my body is still adjusting to running.

No comments: