Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Introduction

You ask what does 0 to 3:30 mean? I'll explain. I decided to start running primarily to lose weight and get in shape. At 43, while not decaying rapidly, you aren't exactly a spring chicken either. I started (after a few spurts and fits over the past ten years) to run with a seriousness that I never had before. Nov 1, 2008 was essentially the start of my "new life". So begin my running (@190lbs) in Hudson River Park (I live in the meatpacking area of the west village). That first run was about 1/2 mile @ 12min pace. Without getting into the nitty gritty details of base training I've arrived Feb 3rd(after 3 months of base) at the following 171 lbs,22 miles/week, 10min pace easy runs, 9:30 pace 85% MHR runs and mental bliss. Feb 4th I had my first race in Central Park: The Gridiron Classic 4 miler. I ran with a dear friend who could have gone out at 6:30 pace to come in top 5 or 10 in her age group but she was kind enough to run with me for moral support (hugs to you Amy). I ran that race @ 9 min pace (NYRR champion chip) and @ 8:57 pace by my watch. Either way it was a good effort and I am proud. What's next? I'm currently in the very beginning of a 12 week 1/2 marathon training program that will culminate with the Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon on April 26th. After that a month or two of additional (higher) base and then an 18 week marathon program to ready me for the 2008 NYC Marathon. So you still are wondering what is 0 to 3:30. Well, I figure most any individual can train to complete a marathon and that is my what I plan to do first with two softer sub goals. Soft goal A is to finish in 4:30 or better and soft goal B is to finish better than 4:15. Why 4:30? When I am on a 10 mile run averaging 10 min pace I feel I can keep going a long time so 10 min pace for 26.2 is 4:22. I figure if I can do a bit better 4:15 is realistic. Ideally I would like to break 4 hours but at this point I don't know if that is doable so its not really in the front of my mind but certainly a goal for marathon #2 down the road. So what is 0 to 3:30? Zero is the number of miles I was running per week 3 months ago. 3:30 is as far as I can tell the ultimate goal I one day hope to achieve for a marathon. Can I do it? I honestly have no idea. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Danny said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!!

Good luck with your training. Sounds like you're doing things right.

And btw, I voted "yes". :-)